Saturday, November 7, 2009

Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night



"Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."

I celebrated my first distinctly British holiday on Thursday! Well, not really a holiday, but there were fireworks! No bonfires, alas. And I kept on hoping there was some song or ritual or something, but my British friends didn't know of any. Reading online (good ol' Wikipedia), I discovered that kids used to make an effigy of Guy and knock on doors asking for money--I guess to buy fireworks? And at the end of the day burn the effigy. And the light the fireworks. Here's a little more info on Fawkes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

Now, according to the article attached below, Halloween has become more popular and more profitable. Strict regulations are part of the reason for the decline in popularity of bonfire night. Of course, Halloween in the States is not what it used to be either with everyone afraid of candy from strangers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5A43XE20091105?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=11604

No comments:

Post a Comment