Saturday, February 13, 2010

Burns Night 2010


25 January is the poet Robert Burns birthday. A national hero of sorts here, he is affectionately referred to by most as just Robbie or Rabbie. (Isn't it awesome that a country's national hero can be a poet??) Every year on his birthday most folks celebrate by having a 'Burns supper' of haggis and neeps and tatties all washed down by whisky. ('Neeps and tatties'= mashed turnips and potatoes, 'whisky'= Scotch)

Along with the eating is recitation of different Burns' poems. Most importantly 'Address to a Haggis'. This is recited before tucking into the haggis. I found a fun website that tells you more than you may ever want to know about it.
http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/address_to_a_haggis.htm

Now, what do I think about haggis? My Burns supper was the second time I had tried it. I think it is quite good. Slightly spicy flavours and a strange, but not unpleasant texture. Combined with the starchy neep and tatties and a dram (or two) of whisky, it is just what the doctor ordered on a cold, dark January night. Thanks, Robbie!

***The photo above is haggis and my own creation 'leeks and tatties'. (heehee) Not what I actually consumed at my Burns supper...didn't take pics at that, but wanted to show the general effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment