Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My first grad school book!


A few weeks ago, I received a Summer Reading list from the art history department at the University. There were a LOT of books listed on it, but only three that were noted "essential reading. Ideally you should be familiar with them before you start the programme." Of course, they are all quite expensive, but found some bargains on the Barnes and Noble website.


The first one arrived today! "Imagined Interiors: Representing the Domestice Interior Since the Renaissance" Now I know I picked the right subject to study, because this sounds really exciting to me! (And I can't imagine it sounds too exciting to many other people.) Here are titles of some of the chapters:

-'One's self, and one's house, one's furniture': from object to interior in British fiction, 1720-1900

-Dream Homes and DIY: television, new media and the domestic makeover

-Inside the Interior: furniture and its inner spaces in eighteenth-century France


The only downside to this book is that it is hardbound and a large format, i.e. heavy! I have a feeling most of the books will be that way.


24 more days at the office (including today).

No comments:

Post a Comment