Tuesday, September 8, 2009

50K on the Rondje Haarlem*


So my sister and I are doing this 50-mile bike ride between Glasgow and Edinburgh on Sunday. When I signed up for it I was sure I would be super biker chick having biked to and from work all summer (which I didn't). I also thought "Oh, 50 miles isn't too bad", which I learned on Monday is not the case...at least for me. Oh, sure, it won't kill me, but the 30-mile ride we did on Monday showed me how out of shape I really am.

In spite of the sore bum and sunburn, it was a really lovely ride. We saw windmills and lots and lots of cows and sheep. (The photo is from our ride.) There were some horses and followed canals in wide open fields. We also rode by mansions and through incredibly picturesque villages. We had a nice picnic lunch in a place called Spaarndam. And perhaps the most lovely thing of all: it was not raining!

*The Rondje Haarlem is bicycle route that goes all around the outskirts of the city of Haarlem. http://www.rondjehaarlem.info/index_uk.php

1 comment: