Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Crisp Counter


I am fascinated with potato chips (aka crisps) here. They don't simply have potato chips coming in potato flavours...oh, no, in fact they rarely come in potato flavours. So I have been happily experimenting. I wanted to set up a widget so I could keep track of all the types I have tried, but alas, I cannot find one nor figure out how to make my own.

Here is an old-fashioned list with my tasting comments:

1) Bacon strips--these are crisps shaped, colored, and flavored like little strips of bacon. Very strange, but real bacon flavor!
2) Roast beef and onion crisps--at Marks & Spencers there was a choice of this flavor or Wiltshire Ham. I am glad I went with the beef...It was like Sunday roast! Without any of the nutrients.
3) Roast Chicken--a particularly bizarre idea to me, but a Scottish classmate of mine was singing its praises so I took the plunge. And they were very good! Tasted a lot like chicken.
4) Worcester Sauce--these have been my least favorite. They are reminiscent of salt & vinegar, but with an extra sourness I didn't like. But definitely worth the try.

One flavor I see everywhere that I have been afraid of is Scampi or Shrimp flavored. It just sounds too revolting. But in the name of science (and to share with family and friends the experience), I am willing to submit my tastebuds to this possible monstrosity. Look for future crisp updates!

2 comments:

  1. As a kid, I used to take the bus down to Pike Place and go to a shop just to buy shrimp chips.

    As an adult... I realize I could've just gone across town to Uwajimaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend the Prawn Cocktail flavor--I actually met someone in Missoula the other day who said his wife missed these more than anything else about the Uk (and she was from Glasgow). Check out the Irn-Bru, HP, Heinz Salad Cream, anything Cadburys, kebabs, deep fried burgers, deep fried pizza, deep fried white pudding, and tablet--I can't promise you what this lot will do your figure, but it would be worth it.
    Get broon sauce with your chips in Edinburgh and butteries if you make it up to Aberdeen---enjoy!

    ReplyDelete