Monday, September 28, 2009

My first (of many, I hope) whisky distillery visit


Auchentoshan is located a few miles outside of Glasgow and is accessible by train. It was a more eventful trip than I had planned, since I got lost on the way from the train station to the distillery. I tried to give myself up to the experience and managed to have a couple of serendipitous moments on my long, roundabout walk to the place. The sound of a piper and the sight of a church alerted me to a wedding! You can barely see the people in the picture, but it was so Scottish and picturesque I couldn't help myself to try to capture it.



I also ended up wandering along the Forth and Clyde Canal, which was very pretty. Especially pretty when the sun peeked from behind the clouds.



After a long walk and a taxi ride, I made it to the distillery. I found the tour really informative.



Auchentoshan is one of three surviving distilleries in the Lowlands. In 1604 a hefty tax was placed on whisky production, so everyone took their operations up into the Highlands to hide from the taxman. And over the years, the number of the few remaining Lowland distilleries dwindled to the three now. I also learned that the regions of Scotland produce different tasting whiskys. (Is the plural of 'whisky', 'whiskies'?) The Lowlands are known for sweeter whisky. The Islands for smoky. The Highlands for floral. And Speyside for a combination of sweet and floral--I think. The Islands are smoky, because they roast their barley over peat fires as there isn't enough wood available there.

Auchentoshan is special overall, because they triple-distill their whisky, which is a technique mostly used for Irish whiskeys. It is supposed to create a smoother flavor.



At the end of the tour, of course, is my favorite part: the tasting! They served us the 12-year-old and then I got a small taste of the Triple Wood. The Triple Wood is so called since they age it in two different bourbon barrels and then a sherry barrel. (Hmmm, I am not sure if in that order.) However the end result is a complex, flavorful whisky that finishes with the taste of bitter chocolate. Wow! Kind of opened my eyes--and tastebuds--to a whole new world of flavor. I had never tasted whisky like it. Can't wait for the next one!

1 comment:

  1. That is fascinating! I love it! I don't have the ability to detect the subtleties in whiskey. I think any thing culinary that has peat involved is a winner.

    ReplyDelete