Monday, September 28, 2009

My post-graduate life


I have three courses this term:

1) My core decorative arts course meets on Mondays. Today, in addition to a lecture, we had a study session at the Burrell Collection. We got to look in-depth at characteristics of 16th and 17th-century oak furniture. Much more fun to do this in person with the object than just seeing slides. This Friday we have a day long field trip to Stirling Castle to learn more about Renaissance stuff.

2) Research Methods is my Tuesday lecture. Here we learn about how to do postgraduate research. Tomorrow the title of the lecture is "Library Skills". Pretty self-explanatory I think.

3) Wednesdays are The Authentic Artwork. This course I think will be really interesting. We are going to be talking about many things from the ethics of conservation to that big question "What is Art?".

Yes, I only have lectures three days of week, but the rest of the time I am reading. And soon I will need to start writing. I have made up color-coded timetables of each week and there is not much unused time. It's quite a change from working life, but I think all the hard work will reap great rewards!

No comments:

Post a Comment